Step 2 of 2: Build Your Box Beam
Enter your dimensions and quantity of box beams having those identical dimension.
Rough Sawn Reclaimed Barn Wood Box Beam Fireplace Mantels
Rough Sawn Reclaimed Barn Wood Box Beam Fireplace Mantels
An alternative to a solid reclaimed barn wood mantel is building a hollow box beam mantel. Doing so allows you far greater precision in the final mantel dimensions. A box beam fireplace mantel is lighter and easier to install as well. Consider a box beam mantel when tolerances of your installation are more exacting and where you need more control over the final look.
Rough Sawn (could also be referred to as 'circle sawn beam') is the term used to describe material cut into dimensional lumber by use of a circular saw. Prior to the advent of--or use of--powered milling machinery, manpower was the force behind the tools (see our Hand Hewn box beams for that look). Rough sawn has the tell-tail circular saw marks; remnants of the tool used to cut it so many generations ago.
Buy Your Custom Box Beam Mantel Now
Be certain to select the option of "Yes-Capped Ends" otherwise the ends will be open like a ceiling box beam.
End cap shown here in Rough Sawn for reference:
The circular saw marks are caused by any number of things, including a bent tooth or blade, wobble in the feeding of the beam through the machine, and the list goes on. However the marks were caused, we're glad they were because this creates both a clean look from the more square angles but keeps the historical interest and visual variety from the saw marks.
A Rough Sawn box beam will be inviting in even the most modern homes.
We do not carry box beam mantels in stock, every box beam mantel is custom made to your specifications. Depending upon specifications and total beam quantity, lead times average 4-6 weeks.
Use the beam configurator to build your cost and place your order.
This listing is for unfinished reclaimed barnwood Rough Sawn Box Beams.
If you would like a custom (colored) finish, please do not order from this listing. Instead, please call us at Adam at 949-244-5123 to discuss your project and arrange for samples to be made for your approval.
Shown here unfinished.
Use these links below to view our other material texture types of box beam mantels:
Lead Time To Ship:
4-6 weeks. It does not take this much time to actually build your custom box beam mantel of course. By placing your order here, you are securing your position in our production queue.
Once production has begun on your custom order we cannot offer refunds.
Additional Product Notes:
- We do not carry ceiling or mantel box beams in stock; every box beam is custom made to your specifications.
- Depending upon specifications and total beam quantity, lead times average 4-6 weeks for mantels, 8-12 weeks for ceiling beams.
- Some configurations require seams to achieve your configured length, face width or height. When seams are needed, we disguise them through traditional seams that have been used for centuries. If you have a specific type of seam appearance in mind please let us know in your order notes.
- Once we receive your configured order (mantels) or Quote Request (ceiling box beams), we'll review it to ensure that the beam you've configured is possible, practical based on viable construction methods and material availability, and shipping method. If there are any conflicts between what is ordered and what is or can be produced/shipped we'll contact you immediately to discuss and identify solutions. If no mutually agreeable solutions are reached then we will decline the order and fully refund the purchase price.
- Shipping is never included in the price and will be charged separately once we quote the shipping either by parcel (UPS/FEDEX for beams under 10ft, or freight for longer beams).
- Shipping is charged separately, prior to shipping.
The Normal Disclaimers:
- Depending upon the material in our inventory or material available, seams may be required to achieve your configured height or length. That is, if you want a 30-foot long beam, a seam may be required along this span to reach the desired length.
- We always try to avoid seams, but where practical or necessary we use traditional joinery that has been used for hundreds of years so the resulting look is authentic. As well, the patina and texture between joined boards. If your box beam dimensions fall outside of what is able to be configured here, please call us to discuss to ensure you receive the information and price you need. Call Adam at 949-244-5123, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or use our contact form/quote request form where you can actually list each box beam and dimensions you need.
- No two pieces of wood are alike and no two pieces of reclaimed or new wood will exactly 'match'.
- With new wood (i.e. New European White Oak) there is far more consistency between boards. However, with Reclaimed Barn Wood and other species specifically, there is infinite variability between boards in the grain, defects, and patina. Thankfully, this variability is the primary draw to, and interest in reclaimed wood. That said, we do not try to 'match' dissimilar boards (i.e. when joining boards to make box beams, seams, multiple beams for the same room, etc.), rather, we coordinate boards so the overall look flows and the variability in character remains. To be extra clear on this, the reclaimed wood you receive will not "match" any images on this website, but be similar.
- As the name states, 'custom' box beams are made to order for you. Once the building of your box beam begins we cannot offer refunds or exchanges.
- Lead Time To Ship: 8-12 weeks from date of order, or from date of approved sample (if a custom finish is selected) but likely sooner. It does not take this much time to actually build your custom box beam of course. By placing your order here, you are securing your position in our production queue.
- Shipping: Due to ever-increasing shipping prices, shipping is no longer included. Beams over 10ft cannot ship by parcel (UPS/FedEx) and will need to be sent by semi (Less Than Truckload Freight). Once your order is received we will run a shipping estimate through several LTL carriers and provide you with the separate shipping cost. This will be collected separately prior to shipment. Since there is such a delay between the shipping quote and the actual shipping date, an updated shipping quote will be done three weeks prior to completion of production. Shipping costs (be they by parcel service like UPS or FedEx, or LTL Freight) will be passed through to you as a separate transaction and due two weeks prior to completion.
- Freight shipping requires someone over the age of 18 to sign for the delivery. The freight carrier will never unload the items from the truck. It will be your responsibility to have sufficient people onsite for delivery and to hand off-load the box beams or have a forklift onsite to unload if a flatbed trailer is used--we will advise you which will be required once we arrange shipping.
- Once delivered, your box beam can never be stored outside. The change in humidity, intensity of sun and temperature changes all affect the box beam seams and material. Once delivered, you should plan on immediately moving the box beams indoors until ready to install
Sizing: Things To Consider
- When indicating the size of your box beam (whether for ceilings or mantels) be sure you are considering any inside dimensional constraints. For instance, since a box beam is often mounted as a wrap over framing, so if this dimension is critical then please let us know so we can account for this space and "build out" from the internal dimensions (this may increase the outside dimensions of course).
- Generally, the thickness of hand hewn faces are 1" and all others are 3/4".
- We usually provide additional length to you in your box beam for onsite adjustment. Our builders appreciate the ability to have some adjustment room onsite and they can trim to exact length given the variation in wall flatness. If you want exact length then please specify this with urgency because it is out of the norm for us. We strongly recommend ordering lengths approximately 1/2" - 1" longer to allow for onsite adjustment to accommodate variations in the structure, drywall, etc.
- All of our custom made box beams come fully assembled and ready for you or your builder to add a finish if you like or directly install.